Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Get to Know Your Serotonin Representatives

There comes a time in every girl's life when she asks herself: "How well do I really know my circulatory and nervous systems?"

This usually occurs after an episode of syncope, as it did for me, and it led me to physician after physician seeking answers. this is because, as it turned out, I didn't really know my circulatory or nervous systems at all. Here I had been, thinking that my fainting spells were "out of character" for them, when really it was them finally manifesting their underlying character. It had been there all along.

With every new pronouncement of pathology that gets filed away in my ever-expanding medical record, I get to experience that strange collision of frustration ,worry, fear, bafflement, optimism and doubt that is the moment of diagnosis.

And so, upon reflection, things really aren't so bad after all.

No comments: